Saturday, December 18, 2004

Coming This Fall From Disney/Miramax Classics:
"hey remember that time you were trying to remember that movie remember the titans? nope? ok"

Earlier this eve I wandered over to my local videodrome, having been inspired by the foriegn dvd section at borders and put off by the hefty criterion pricetags at the same time. Renting! I thought whilst eyeing such fare as "A Woman Est Un Anadalusia" and "La Dolce Vittorio Furioso Deus Ex Machinations Un Chien" (aka La Dolcho) and of course the Kurosawa section which has always seemed more intimidating than a grad student with a theory.

ASIDE- my mom just got a dvd player. i was looking for I Am The Curious (Yellow) because she told me her and my dad went to see it and it was such a big deal because it was banned in the states and did that shock me. No, but because it is foriegn yes. Wait, lemme back up with the reverse beeps- I was going through my "Eyes Wide Shut is way underrated/ Kubrick can do no wrong" phase and because she heard how supposedly "shocking" the movie is she decided to share her own filmgoing experiences. It went a little something like:
"Yellow. Yellow. It had something with a yellow. I'm yellow? I am the yellow? Does that sound familiar?"
"No. Are you absolutely sure you didn't hallucinate this? Electric lemon acid kool-aid test?"
"No, and you just now made up the last part of that sentence."
"Hey, I gotta do something until Remember the Titans ends."
"Yellow...yellow..."
"Number 9...Number 9...hey-remember-that-saturday-night-live-sketch-where-john-lennon-opened-a-fast-food-restaurant-and-was-all-like 'now-serving-number-9-number-9'."
"No you'te thinking of Yellow Submarine." (like anyone ever thinks of that movie when they are thinking about a movie)
"Old Yeller!" (even the song is annoying, right up there with all you need is love- shut up and write a second lyric- and lucy in the sky with diamonds yeah it's not a good trip when your song title insinuates you are singing about some drug called LITSWD)
"No of course not Old Yeller! That's a kids movie."
"Kids movie my ass it should be banned. They shoot the dog at the end! I dreaded watching that movie, and they kept showing it over and over! And then they finally drag out a new dog movie and it's Wheretheredferngrows and how does that end? With two dead dogs!"
"Don't say ass."
So I was looking for what I eventually found out was I Am The Curious (Yellow)- little did I know that this movie could be alphabetized under either "I Am The Curious (Yellow)", "Curious, I Am (Yellow)", "Yellow, (I Am The Curious)" "En Film I Gult" or Foreign Film, Russian (Norwegian, Slavic, etc.), directors, Sjoman, Curious series, yellow. (last method only applicable at videodrome, though slightly modified from my personal- hey a yellow cover- method.) But I wasn't yet at videodrome, and borders did not have it. ASIDE OVER

I believe I was actually in videodrome when I strayed, and now I am back. Metaphorically. I did not actually wander like over to buddys or something OBVIOUSLY.
Oh yeah and I have never seen a Cassavettes movie. All I know about him is he's either an allll-coholic. Genius! or a misoginist! or some other unintelligable stick up kathleen hanna's ass.

Ok finally "Remember the Clash of the Titans A.E." is over I can tell by that happy 60's song FINALLY.

I rented this French documentary on sound called "Listen" which John at the drome called "arty" (which is a ringing endorsement from him) and then to mix things up a bit I also rented "Hiroshima, Mon Amor" which has nothing to do with French OR art house.

But then kevin got sucked into remembering the titans. I think he is scared of Resnais. Rightfully so. I know several people who are still wandering lost around marienbad.

Just humor me I have to use this film minor for something.

hey remember the titans?

RATED R.
startsthisfridaycheckyourlocallistingservicenotavailableinallareaseestorefordetails.