Sunday, January 04, 2004

A Band Will Surely Justify My Existance!
The Journey of This Idea I Have Every Few Months


In the spirit of philanthropy this the new year I have decided to start giving back to the Atlanta hipster scene which has given so much to me. Appropriate belt width. Rapture lyrics. Understanding the line that divides irony from what is actually hip. A better understanding of lemming behavior once the lemming control group is dressed in red leather and forced to socialize. And of course justification that there is nothing cooler going on in this city...in other words the delicate act of putting yourself out there while remaining indifferent. And in the corner.

It's knowledge developed on the mean streets of Williamsburg and refined on a different block in Williamsburg. It's called street smarts.

Phase 1: An Idea Approaches.
If I could pass off falling as dancing, certainly I could substitute substance for volume. I could also start my own subgenre of newness: simply core. Except no simply. Core doesn't need the protective padding of emo or screamo or b flat. You won't see us coming and we'll startle you. Because we'll probably be standing a little too close.

Phase 2: The Idea Attacks!
I am going to start a band, and this time I'm using actual audible notes. It's like I'm going back to the roots of noise. Sort of velvet underground meets classic tv theme songs meets a geriatric choir covering bowie. We will posses all the whimsy of belle and sebastian without the bulky cellists and excess Stuarts. We won't care if you get it, because Antwerp will. And if it doesn't we'll force him to with an all-out assault on his senses! Which he will accept, and request more, because our brand of hardcore emo takes hardcore screamocore to another level: nougat. Why destroy expensive dental work on the crushing center of feedback vs. death screams when you can ease your way into the world of core. The marshmallowy goodness will assure you that nobody has any clue about the subgenres of emo and hardcore, they just know how to sound cool by describing an unknown band as a combination of two equally unknown bands. Every once in awhile throw in Joy Division- it doesn't matter where. Ripping off Joy Division is now hipper than ill fitting pants. The nougat will be delicous and by the time it's all over you might just find yourself wondering why you ever got rid of your Manheim Steamroller tapes, because some bands will only be appreciated by elevators and ficus trees. But you know that they were decking the halls on another level, and you were waiting for them with a can of spray snow. You knew that they knew that mood music could kind of rock. And so did your dad, but not for another week at least.


Defending Yourself Against An Idea Whose TIme Had Come: Nurturing the Idea Phase
Take it up a notch? I have a timeshare on that notch with plenty of room for you during hurricane season! That is to say it's taken. I'm already considering seeing if I can actually record photosynthesis and if so bringing the ficus plant on tour. Electrosynthcoresis, asking the world just where cell division lies on the musical register.

A guitar playing botanist would be a plus.

You've seen ficus trees be decorative distractions in your local bank but have you ever seen one in the spotlight? Or any plantlife? Information on plant bands was scarce.

Feeding Your Idea A Sandwich and Watching It Grow
So far it's me and my ability to read music and play the piano and write obtuse lyrics and throw stuff at people and get drunk. And my desparate reach for something slightly original.

I probably need some other people to play other instruments. Guitar, probably and some drums. I need a singer with pizzazz! My voice sounds like nico but nico covering Television is just derivitive of everything that killed emogoth. core. I think instead of another guitar I'll just see what small instruments I can distort using a wah petal. And I don't think we necessarily need a bass, considering that there's probably a button that provides fill. They make buttons for everything these days.

Loving Your Idea As If It Were Your Very Own.
I have some possible names:
The Future is Next Week
Hayley Mills Replication Kit
Camp Basement

Don't think based on the names that I'm trying to rewrite Pet Sounds for the math rock set. Pet Sounds took into account harmony, whereas my (our) philosophy is that any three notes played together can be a chord if you believe it enough.

I want to perform in both Atlanta and Athens, so you have to be obsessed with both your image and appearing to know more than anyone around you. You not only know that Macha did that progression already, you know when, where, and how many other bands were signed to that label based on their ability to ride coattails.

Making Friends With Your Idea And Growing Old Together, Or Letting Your Idea Go Gently
So...lemme know, ok? I'm pretty busy rehearsing my electrophyll outfit Electroschnitzel at the moment but I should have some free time soon depending on whether or not the Ouiji board actually produces the spirit of Falco like the box promises or just continues to answer in ones and zeros. (Never try to upgrade a ouiji board, it only channels dead geeks.)

I know people still use old-tyme reel to reels but has anyone tried a reel to reel to........reel?
Do people recognize the format Bach used for his warmup pieces? Does Radiohead?

We might need a research department/ go go dancers.

I will take risks like this for the future of electromath rockcore. Which I think actually requires a knowledge of vector systems and at least calculus II to understand.

Your Idea, Your Future, And You. How To Train Your Idea At Home For A Career in Medical Transcription
If you are ready to live at least a month into the future of music, get on the train bound straight for indie credville. Which I think at the moment is Omaha, or Branson. Like everything else there's no sign. You just have to know. Transportation a plus.