Wednesday, March 31, 2004

I just realized that the "Up With People III" album that I have on my desk at work has lyrics on the sleeve. Every day I shall post a new and equally uplifing song. Beginning, of course, with the song they are best known for which is titled (appropriately enough):
Up With People
It happened just this morning,
I was walking down the street,
A milkman and a postman
And policeman I did meet.
There in every window,
At ev'ry single door,
I recognized people
I'd never recognized before.
Up! up with people!
You meet 'em wherever you go!
Up! up with people!
They're the best kind of folks we know.
If more people were for people,
All people ev'rywhere,
There'd be a lot less people to worry about,
And a lot more people who care!
(repeat last two lines)
People from the southland
And people from the north,
like a mighty army
I saw them coming forth.
'Twas a great reunion,
Befitting of a king!
Then I realized people
Are more important than things,
Up! up with people!...etc.
Inside ev'rybody
There's some bad and some good
But don't let anybody
Start attacking people-hood
Love them as they are,
But fight for them to be,
Great men and great women,
As Jeebus* meant them to be,
Up! Up with people!...etc.
(repeat chorus)

*diety changed to more accurately reflect the beliefs of Homer Simpson.

Ok, the song seems to have a positive (if a bit smarmy) message. That is, if one can overlook the songwriter's seemingly omnipresent existential struggle and fundamentalist apocalypic undertones. Plus ev'ry is not an actual contraction, much like people-hood is not an actual word. And I was quite suprised at the blatant advocation of cocaine usage mid-song (repeat 2 lines)....I'm curious as to where the rest of the album will take us.